Download a typeset version for printing: Resume
Developer, Fullbay, Phoenix, AZ 12/2018 – Present
- Worked in a fast-growing start up producing a SAAS solution for the heavy-duty equipment repair industry. Saw teams scale from two to over a dozen individual contributors in the first year. Worked on migrating early MVP to modern PHP standards, established a git-flow workflow with the team and introduced Agile project management practices.
- Implemented point of sale software through WorldPay that processes $2+ million monthly card-present and card-not-present transactions.
- Coordinated with partners to co-develop interoperable APIs allowing for communication between our software and theirs.
- Used AWS Serverless services (Cloud Formation, Lambda, SNS, SQS) and Nodejs to create an event-based routing system allowing for concurrent and “eventually consistent” operations to be offloaded from the main client-facing server and onto a distribution of PHP applications. Opening doors for scaling operations to meet new demand.
Software Engineer, Research Square, Durham, NC 1/2015 – 11/2018
- Supported legacy software and new feature development of an enterprise Zend Framework PHP application responsible for directing workflows and task assignment for a team of 300+ remote editors and translators
- Spearheaded project to migrate 500,000 invoices from an internally built accounting suite to ZohoBooks or QuickBooks. Evaluated potential external accounting suites for suitability. Maintained record integrity of new transactions while actively migrating existing records.
- Refactored a 1.4 million loc monolithic PHP application into smaller business contexts through the application of Domain Driven Design principles. Contexts used AWS SNS/SQS queues to communicate domain events between services in a hexagonal architecture.
- 100% remote team; used a scrum-based methodology for project management, unit testing, code reviews, and pairing to maintain team cohesion and project success
Developer, 44Interactive, Sioux Falls, SD 1/2013 – 12/2014
- Developed a bespoke e-commerce platform using Laraval that supported inventory management, shopping carts, and credit card transactions through Authorize.net. Clients included local golf courses and country clubs who used our cart to process annual club memberships and tee-times.
- Increased production system up-time from 97% to 99.99% on a server that saw 50k+ unique visitors per day and reduced server costs by 50%
Developer, Gage E-Services, Sioux Falls, SD 7/2011 – 1/2013
- Developed Joomla, Wordpress, and Lemonstand websites for a variety of clients
- Assisted with translating client needs into technical specification
Lead Park Ranger, Jewel Cave National Monument, Custer, SD 5/2008 – 9/2011
- Mentored new rangers and assisted with training and performance evaluations.
- Edited, wrote, and designed layouts for full-color activity booklets, annual newspapers, advertisements, trail maps, press releases, public correspondence, newsletters, e-mails, and reports.
- Front-End: HTML, CSS & CSS pre-processors (Sass, Less), Some LaTeX
- PHP Frameworks: Zend Framework 1 & 2/3, Slim, Laraval
- Content Management: WordPress, Jekyll, Joomla 1, Hugo
- Common APIs: Quickbooks, Zohobooks, Google Maps, Paypal, Authorize.Net , WorldPay, Elastic Search
- Message Queues: AWS SNS & SQS Queues, Beanstalk
- Operations AWS Serverless, Linux (CENTOS, Ubuntu), Docker, Ansible, NGINX and Apache HTTP server administration, MySQL/MariaDB databases
- Version Control: Git and SVN
- Concepts: Test and Behevioral Driven Development, Domain Driven Design, microservice architectures, strong grasp of object orientated programming, database design, and design patterns
- Soft Skills: Excellent technical communication skills, familiarity with graphic design and UI/UX, familiarity with common software development methodologies (Agile, Scrum, etc.), git-flow, pair programming, code reviews and continuous integration workflows.
Real Time Interactive Simluation, DigiPen Institute of Technology, Bellevue, WA
Courses Taken: Linear Algebra, Calculus I, Computer Environment I & II, Operating Systems I, C Programming Language, C++ Programming Language
B.A. Philosophy and English, Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD, 2009
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude
- Dean’s List, all semesters
- Sigma Tau Delta Literary Honors Society
- Visiting Scholar Seat, Harris-Manchester College, University of Oxford
- Eagle Scout