Download a typeset version for printing: Resume
Developer, Fullbay, Phoenix, AZ 12/2018 – Present
- Worked in a fast-growing start up producing a SAAS solution for the heavy-duty equipment repair industry. Scaled team from two to over a dozen individual contributors in the first year.
- Migrated early MVP to modern PHP standards, standardized team on git-flow introduced Agile project management practices.
- Implemented point of sale software through WorldPay that processes $2+ million monthly card-present and card-not-present transactions.
- Developed module to standardize time and time-zone management across services as company scaled for international customers
- Integrated with Salesforce for bidirectional sharing of accounts and records.
- Coordinated with external partners to co-develop interoperable REST and service orientated APIs
- Presented internal talks on test-driven development, unit test design, application security (OWASP Top Ten) and the PHP Standards Recommendations (PSR).
- Used AWS Serverless services (Cloud Formation, Lambda, SNS, SQS) and Nodejs to create an event-based routing system allowing for concurrent and “eventually consistent” operations to be offloaded from the main client-facing server and onto a distribution of services.
Software Engineer, Research Square, Durham, NC 1/2015 – 11/2018
- Supported legacy software and new feature development of an enterprise Zend Framework PHP application responsible for directing workflows and task assignment for a team of 300+ remote editors and translators
- Spearheaded project to migrate 500,000 invoices from an internally built accounting suite to ZohoBooks. Evaluated potential external accounting suites for suitability. Maintained record integrity of new transactions while actively migrating existing records.
- Refactored a 1.4 million loc monolithic PHP application into smaller business contexts through the application of Domain Driven Design principles to create a hexagonal event-driven architecture.
- 100% remote team; used a scrum-based methodology for project management, unit testing, code reviews, and pairing to maintain team cohesion and project success
Developer, 44Interactive, Sioux Falls, SD 1/2013 – 12/2014
- Developed a bespoke e-commerce platform using Laraval that supported inventory management, shopping carts, and credit card transactions through Authorize.net. Clients included local golf courses and country clubs who used our cart to process annual club memberships and tee-times.
- Increased production system up-time from 97% to 99.99% on a server that saw 50k+ unique visitors per day and reduced server costs by 50%
Developer, Gage E-Services, Sioux Falls, SD 7/2011 – 1/2013
- Developed Joomla, Wordpress, and Lemonstand websites for a variety of clients
- Assisted with translating client needs into technical specification
Lead Park Ranger, Jewel Cave National Monument, Custer, SD 5/2008 – 9/2011
- Mentored new rangers and assisted with training and performance evaluations.
- Edited, wrote, and designed layouts for full-color activity booklets, annual newspapers, advertisements, trail maps, press releases, public correspondence, newsletters, e-mails, and reports.
- PHP Frameworks
- Zend Framework 1 & 2/3, Slim, Laraval
- Content Management
- WordPress, Jekyll, Hugo and Gatsby.js
- API Integration
- Salesforce, Quickbooks, ZohoBooks, Google Maps, Paypal, Authorize.Net, Worldpay, Elastic Search, POSTMAN, ability to design and implement REST and service-oriented APIs
- Message Queues
- AWS SNS & SQS Queues, Beanstalk
- AWS (EC2, Lambda), Linux (CENTOS, Ubuntu), Docker, Ansible, NGINX and Apache HTTP server administration, MySQL/MariaDB databases
- Version Control
- Git and SVN
- Application Security
- OWASP, BURP Suite, various authentication methods (Basic, Digest, OAUTH, JWTs)
- Test and Behavioral Driven Development (PHPUnit), Domain Driven Design, design for distributed systems (microservice architectures, event and message driven architectures), functional programming, object orientated programming, and database design.
- Soft Skills
- Excellent technical communication skills, familiarity with graphic design and UI/UX, familiarity with common software development methodologies (Agile, Scrum, etc.), git-flow, pair programming, code reviews and continuous integration
Real Time Interactive Simluation, DigiPen Institute of Technology, Bellevue, WA
Courses Taken: Linear Algebra, Calculus I, Computer Environment I & II, Operating Systems I, C Programming Language, C++ Programming Language
B.A. Philosophy and English, Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD, 2009
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude
- Dean’s List, all semesters
- Sigma Tau Delta Literary Honors Society
- Visiting Scholar Seat, Harris-Manchester College, University of Oxford
- Eagle Scout